topbella

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Jesus is the Reason, By Hannah H.

Jesus is the Reason

By Hannah H.

Hi, my name is Emma. Christmas is a very special time of year. It holds many magical things. Tonight is Christmas Eve. Right now, my mom is in the kitchen baking cookies for my little brother and sister to put out for Santa Clause a little later. My dad is in his bedroom stuffing our stockings. My little brother is shaking the presents that are already beneath the Christmas tree. And then I peek over my little sister’s shoulder as she writes her letter to Santa Clause.

Dear Santa Clause,

Here is my Christmas wish list:

1. A new puppy

2. A soccer ball

3. A purple ballerina tutu

4. Candy

5. Princess Tiara

Thank You!

Love,

Noel

P.S. We are making you chocolate chip cookies and a big glass of milk!

I chuckle at Noel’s wish list. She is 7 years old. I walk over to the sparkling Christmas tree decorated with ornaments that we have created together since we were itty-bitty. The shiny Christmas lights shine with Christmas wonder. My 4 year old little brother is still shaking the gifts beneath the tree. His name is Jeremy. “What do you think is in that box?” I ask Jeremy as he is shaking a package. “I think it is a soccer ball for Noel!” Shhhhh… I put my finger over my lips to tell him to be quiet. The soccer ball was my present for Noel and I didn’t want her to know that it was from me and not Santa Clause. I ruffle Jeremy’s sandy colored hair and head into the kitchen where my mom is calling me. “Emma, I made some extra chocolate chip cookies, will you take them over to Parker’s house?” Mom asks me. The Parkers are our elderly next door neighbors. Their children and grandchildren are over for the holidays right now. “Sure,” I reply. I pick up the plate of hot cookies and head out the front door. The Parker’s have 5 kids that all have kids of their own so you can imagine how crazy this house is during the holidays. I head over to their teeny yellow house. It looks so pretty over here. Beautiful lights dangle from the roof and decorations fill the yard. I smile at the beauty and simplicity of the yard. I ring the doorbell. “Hi Mrs. Parker,” I say as Mrs. Parker opens the front door with two small children clinging to her legs. The nice elderly woman flashes a big smile. I smile back. “I wanted to bring you this plate of chocolate chip cookies that my mom made.” She smiles as her young grandchildren are already reaching for a cookie. “Thank you so much,” she says. I get down on my knees to where I am eye- level with the two grandchildren. “What are your names?” The little girl looks about two years old and is sucking on her thumb. She isn’t talking so the older boy on the other inside of Mrs. Parker speaks up. “My name is Hunter.”He smiles a nice friendly smile and nods toward the younger girl. “This is my cousin, her name is Carissa.” He holds out his hand so I can shake it. I shake it and wish him Happy Holidays. He looks about Noel’s age. Then a girl that is about my age- 13 or so, comes to the door, probably curious who came knocking. “Hi, my name is Louise,” the girl says to me. Mrs. Parker explains to Hunter, Carissa, and Louise that I am the next door neighbor. I think Louise is Carissa’s older sister. They both have blonde curly hair and bright green eyes. “Nice to meet you,” I say as we shake hands. Hunter explains to his older cousin that I brought over some chocolate chip cookies. “Mmm…my favorite!” Louise says with a bright smile. It turns out that Mrs. Parker’s oldest son is struggling with financial issues and that Louise, Carissa, their older brother, Logan, and baby Missy will be staying with the Parker Sr. until their dad can find a job and they can buy a house here! I have a feeling that Louise and I will be good friends. Louise will start 8th grade at my school after Christmas break! How exciting! I explain that I should probably get back to my house.”Thanks for the cookies,” Mrs. Parker says again. I tell them good night, head home, and go to bed.

When I wake up on Christmas morning, I can see that Noel and Jeremy are jumping on my bed trying to wake me up. I look out my window to see beautiful white snow falling from the sky!!! How great! We walk into the living room where all of our gifts are set up. Mom and dad are video taping us as we open the gifts that were on our wish lists! I got nearly everything on mine. When we finish up with that, we watch A Charlie Brown Christmas on TV, my dad’s favorite. Then we go out for our annual snowball fight. When we get out there, every member of the Parker family is out there ready to snowball it out as well. We have an awesome snowball fight with the 16 grandchildren, (by age) Grace, Lauren, Jackson, Justin, Logan, Amy, Sarah, Kathryn, Daniel, Ethan, Katie, Louise, Isaiah, Hunter, Carissa, Missy. Mr. and Mrs. Parker and their children stick to passing out hot chocolate! I introduce my family to Louise and her family and tell them about her moving here. My dad is a pastor, and we are in need of a children’s pastor, so Mr. Parker Jr. accepts the job! Them, my mom who is a real estate agent, tells them that there is a new house in the neighborhood, that is affordable and nice and they are going to look into it! Then, I see that in the Parker’s yard, the nativity scene is set up. I guess I had kinda forgotten about baby Jesus’ birth in the midst of all of this. I look at baby Jesus, and thank God for His son, for my family, for my wonderful gifts, for Louise and her family, for Mr. and Mrs. Parker senior, and my redemption. I will always remember form now on that Jesus is the Reason for the Season and all of it’s blessings!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors