topbella

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Fading Beauty, By TreAnna B.

Fading Beauty

By TreAnna B.

Read the devotional that goes with this story! Devotionals

Maria stood before her easel, her face screwed up in frustration. No matter how much she tried she couldn't seem to think of one idea to paint.

She was standing in the center of her room, ignoring the few other meager furnishings. She often liked to think there was a form of grandeur to her room, even though she didn't have much. A twin bed set against the wall to her right, blocked in by her closet and a dresser. A huge mirror with a gilt edge frame covered almost the entire wall behind her. On the wall in front of her, several of her paintings were on display, but it was the lone painting that hung on the wall to her left that Maria loved the most. It was a painting of a landscape done by her mother before she had died.

Often Maria could look at it and get instant inspiration. That was not the case today.

Sighing, she put her palette of paint and her brush down on the table beside the easel and went to stand before the painting. Just looking at it made her feel closer to her mom. The way the colors blended perfectly, forming abstract versions of trees and flowers. The sky was almost an ombre, transition from a light blue to an inky black.

She sighed. Her mom had passed away when she was five. She didn't have many memories of her, really. What she knew was what her dad had told her.

Maria resisted the urge to reach out and brush her fingers against the painting. She knew what she would feel. Cool colors and rough canvas. She turned back to her own canvas with a renewed urgency. She slashed a line of blue across the page.

Maria didn't hear her door open or her stepsister walk in until she was standing on the opposite side of the canvas. Maria didn't look up from her work. “I thought I told you to stay out of my room.” Andrianna shrugged. “It's my house.”

“It was mine first.”

Maria's head snapped up to see Andrianna wearing a tight black dress, with a thigh high slit. Some kind of fur was draped across her shoulders. Her perfect blonde hair fell in ringlets down her back. As always when her sister was around, Maria became even more self conscious. Her baggy t-shirt and paint splattered jeans, which were usually a comfort, reminded her how thin she was compared to Andrianna's litheness. She tried to push the thoughts to the back of her mind, instead focusing on Andrianna. “What are you wearing?”

Her sister smiled, rubbing the fur. “It's mink. For the shoot today. Isn't it gorgeous?”

“I thought you didn't have another photo shoot until next week.”

Andrianna shrugged and flung herself on Maria's bed, disrupting the pillows. “What can I say? Jean Paul works miracles! He has me three more scheduled for this week and one for today.”

Maria frowned. “If you have a shoot today, why are you all dressed up? When you get there, you're going to have to be put back into costume, make-up reapplied, and hair redone.” Andrianna gave a theatrical sigh, jumping from the bed. “It's principle, Maria! If I show up looking like trash, I'll never be on the cover of Vogue.”

Maria turned back to her painting. “Like your chances improve if you wear that.”

“Jealous, much?” Andrianna walked behind her sister to examine her work. “It seems the muses have been unkind to you today.” Maria tried to block her sister from seeing her work to little avail. It wasn't easy when Andrianna wasn't wearing six inch heels, when she was, it became a nearly impossible task. Finally she gave up, sighing. “I'm just having a bit of a block.” Andrianna smiled. “Mmmhmm. And what is this?” She ruffled Maria's hair, which was stacked messily atop her head. Maria pulled away, trying not to seem too self-conscience. “You know I have to wear my hair up when I paint.”

Andrianna frowned in mocked horror. “Like this? No wonder your hair is always a mess.”

Maria ignored her. Smirking, her sister walked to examine the paintings hanging on the wall. “It seems you've settled into your new room.”

“It didn't take long.”

“It was very convenient for Father to offer you a new room...closer to his office.”

Maria looked up from her canvas. “What do you mean by that?” Andrianna shrugged. “Nothing. just that it makes it easier for him to keep an eye on you.” Maria rolled her eyes. “Don't you have somewhere you need to be?”

“Now that you mention it, Jean Paul is probably waiting for me, and I wouldn't want to be late for the shoot.” Andrianna sashayed towards the door. “Ciao.”

Maria watched her go; rage, jealously, and turmoil twisting in an awkward dance inside of her. She looked at the canvas blank before her, besides one blue streak. Before she knew what she was doing, she slashed at the canvas with her brush, several red and green streaks joining the lone blue one. After her anger had abated some, she cocked her head to the side, admiring her work. “Rage of my heart.” She said to no one in particular. “That's what I can call it.

” She spun on her heel and stared into the mirror behind her. “It's not as if I have any other ideas.” She looked into the mirror and didn't like what she saw. Limp brown hair was plastered to her head by several pins and clips. Her face was slightly flushed, her eyes darkened to bruises. She would never look like her sister, not at this rate. Disgusted she twisted away from the mirror, flinging her paintbrush at her door.

“Hey!”

She looked up to see Eric leaning in the doorway.

“If you want me to leave, just say so. Don't pelt me with painting supplies.”

Maria groaned inwardly and her stomach did a weird little flip at seeing him. “Sorry.” She mumbled. He shrugged. “It's cool. Is it okay if I come in?” Maria gestured towards her bed. “Have a seat.”

Eric was tall, at least five-eleven, with short blonde hair and unnatural blue eyes. Every time Maria was around him, she felt this odd fidgety-ness inside of her. She's not quite sure when it began. She'd known Eric for most of her life, their parents having introduced them when they were toddlers. He worked part-time for her dad, helping him with his business, though she wasn't really sure how. He often came to visit her on his breaks.

Maria crossed her arms self-conscientiously and turned to face him. He was sitting on the edge of her bed, his pale blue eyes assessing her. “What, or should I say who, has you so frustrated this morning?”

Maria let out a gust of air she wasn't aware she'd been holding. “Who do you think?”

Eric smiled. “Andrianna?”

Maria threw her hands in the air. “Yes!” She began to pace back and forth before the easel. “She's so...meh!”

“Meh?” Eric asked with obvious humor. “She had the audacity to suggest that Father gave me this room so I would be easier to observe.”

Eric became tense. “You don't believe her do you?” He watched Maria as she paced, turning to face him. She was frowning. “Of course not. Father has no reason to want to watch me.” He looked for some way to change the subject.“What was with the fur?”

Maria stopped her pacing. “The what?”

Eric motioned towards the door, “I saw Andrianna leaving earlier, and she was wearing fur.”

“Oh. That. She had a shoot today.”

Eric nodded as if that statement explained everything. “What else has you concerned. I've never seen you this jumpy after an encounter with your sister.” Maria visibly wilted. Eric patted a spot on the bed beside him, and she sat down. “I can't paint.”

“Of course you can!” He motioned to several of her paintings. “You inherited your mother's gift.” Maria's brows knitted together. “No. I mean I can't think of any ideas.” She indicated the paint-slashed canvas setting in the middle of her room. “
That is the only idea I've had all week.” She clutched at her head. “It's so frustrating! I've never had this bad of a block before. It's like the ideas are there but they just won't come to the surface.”

Eric walked to examine the canvas. “It's not so bad.” Maria's glare shut him up. “How long have you been this way?” Maria massaged her temples. “Two, maybe three weeks.”
“I 'm sure something will strike you soon. I wouldn't worry about it too much.”
Maria sighed. “I hope so or I'm going to go insane.”
“It will.” Eric reached down and gave Maria a small hug. The feel of his arms around her made her heart skip a beat. When he pulled away, she was smiling. “Thanks, Eric.” He smiled back. “No problem.”
She frowned suddenly, rising to her feet. “Wait. Weren't you supposed to be doing something for Father? Going to a conference or something?”
The tension between his shoulders increased and his breathing slowed. “I was supposed to, but he called last night and told me not to worry about it. I guess he found someone else.”
Maria shrugged and walked over to her dresser. Andrianna had left a copy of her latest magazine on it. She grabbed it and started flipping through the pages. She tried not to notice Eric as he peeked over her shoulder. Maria pointed to a picture of Andrianna a few pages in.“Can you believe how gorgeous she is? I know some of it is the makeup and the costume, but even if you took all that away, she would still look perfect.”
“You're beautiful too, Maria. Don't let Andrianna goad you into believing otherwise. In many aspects you're even more beautiful than she is.”
Maria's cheeks heated involuntarily at the praise, but the image of the skinny, imperfect nobody she had seen earlier in the mirror popped into her head. He's just saying it to be nice. She thought. Once again her shoulders drooped. “If you say so. Thanks, Eric.”
Eric turned her to face him. “You know I'm right.” He said more vehemently. The look that was in his eyes was so intense, but before Maria could ponder it too long, he looked away. “Well my break's up. I best go see what I need to do now.” He walked toward the door, stopping to look back at Maria. “Things will work out. You'll see.” Maria flung the magazine onto her bed. “Sure they will. Andrianna grows more gorgeous by the day and what am I left with? Nothing. Not even an idea to paint.” She glared at the magazine as if that would some how help to quell the anger inside her. Finally she gave up and turned back to her painting.
“Maria.”
She jumped, searching for the source of the voice.
“Maria.”
“Who's there?”
“It's me. The mirror.”
Maria spun to stare at the mirror behind her. “That's impossible. Mirrors can't talk.”
“I'm talking to you, Maria.”
She crossed her arms again, realizing the absurdity of taking to a mirror. “Yeah. Well...what do you want?”
“I just want to talk.”
“About what?”
“You.”
“Me?” She asked incredulous. “What about me?” The mirror seemed to sigh. “Look at you. So unlike your sister.” Maria frowned. “What do you mean?”
“She'll always be prettier than you. Just look at the magazines. Flawless. Perfect skin, perfect hair...and then there's you...What do you have? Messy hair...an average complexion. You'll never measure up to her.”
Maria felt her inner turmoil rise up as her thoughts were spoken aloud. “I know.” Her voice cracked on the words.
“Do you?”
“How could I ever forget?” Maria replied bitterly. The mirror seemed to laugh at her. “How could you forget indeed.”


Eric was seated in Thomas Contrare's office. He had one of Andrianna's magazines flipping through it. It seemed as though they littered the house, and there were never any two alike. Thomas entered carrying a briefcase. He set it down on his desk and shut the door. “Sorry I'm late. There was an issue with one of my employees.”
“Its fine. I was just...” Eric motioned to the magazine. Thomas straightened the three photographs of Maria, Andrianna, and his wife Charlotte, that were sitting on the edge of his desk. “What did you want to meet about so urgently?” Eric set the magazine aside. “Where's Maria?”
“Shopping for painting supplies with Charlotte. Why?”
“I just don't want to chance her overhearing.”
Thomas grew more uncomfortable in his chair. He was a big man, of medium build. His shoulders were square, filling the space of his chair. He laced his fingers together nervously. Eric continued, ignoring his anxiety. “I think there's a problem with the medicine you've been giving Maria.”
“Such as?”
Eric stood and walked over to the bookshelf, examining the volumes. “Maria's been experiencing a block for the past three weeks. I think it has something to do with the medication you're giving her.” Thomas frowned. “I suppose that's possible.” Eric turned to face him. “And we have a problem with Andrianna.” Thomas sighed. “Don't we always have a problem with my step-daughter?” Seeing that Eric wasn't laughing at his joke, he grew more serious, “What's the matter?” Eric turned to face him. “She's been dropping hints to Maria.” Thomas settled back in his chair, his hands placed on his stomach. His face adopting a look of confusion.“Hints? Such as what?”
“That you gave Maria a new room on purpose so she would be easier to observe.” Eric crossed to the desk, leaning over it. “I haven't asked for much, Mr. Contrare, but I want to know. What is going on? You ask me to stay around, under the pretense of helping you with your business, and yet I've done very little. You tell me to sneak medication into Maria's food without any explanations, only that it will keep her healthy. And now this, a new room, so she's closer to your office. I want to believe you have some reason for this, but I can't think of any.”
Thomas's shoulders slumped as he leaned forward placing his head in his hands. “It's her mother.” Eric sat back in his chair. “Charlotte?” Thomas shook his head. No. Maria's biological mother, Selena” Thomas rose from his chair and disappeared into a room adjoining his office. When he came back he had a painting with him. “This is one of Selena's paintings. See how beautiful it is? How it seems like it would come to life if given the chance? It was as if Selena could take the beauty of her soul and transfer it onto canvas.”
Eric observed the painting. Thomas was right; it was exquisite. It was obvious that the artist was very gifted. This particular piece was of a sea scape. Waves tossed violently meeting a grape-gray sky. Beneath the waves sirens sang songs of beauty and torment. Eric couldn't cease looking until Thomas set it aside. “So you do see.”
Eric frowned. “I see that Selena was indeed a talented artist, but I fail to see how this explains Maria.” Thomas leaned back against his desk, crossing his arms. His gaze settled on the carpet, growing distant. “I was away one day, trying to sell another business idea. Your mother had agreed to watch Maria for the day since Selena wasn't feeling well. I should have noticed the signs and stayed home. I knew she was feeling off, that she was entering into one of her dark spells, but I didn't realize how bad it was at the time. That evening I went home before I picked up Maria. I had a feeling something was wrong, but I didn't know what to expect. I walked in to find Selena sprawled on the floor in the kitchen. The doctors said she overdosed.”
For a long time they sat in silence. Finally Eric asked, “You're afraid Maria's going to end up like her mother?” Thomas met his gaze. Eric was surprised to find so much fear there. “Of course I am!She's already exhibited the signs. When she was younger, I would find her in a ball on her bed crying for no reason. A child shouldn't act like that. That's when I realized how alike Maria was to Selena. I consulted doctors and psychiatrists, but the only useful thing they could tell me was to limit her exposure. She was a child and an artist! I couldn't do that to her. I finally found Dr. Wilcox. He's the one that suggested I put Maria on anti-depressants without her knowing, but since she doesn't know, Maria has to be observed at all times to make sure she doesn't have a reaction.”
Eric leaned forward in his chair. “How many times have you changed her anti-depressants?” Thomas returned the painting to the back room, his voice floating back to Eric. “Three.” He returned to the room, his face almost apologetic. “The first one didn't work at all. I believe her body grew immune to the second. I just put her on the third, but if its causing her block...” He sat down behind his desk, scribbling a note on a piece of paper. “I'll call Dr. Wilcox in the morning and get a new prescription.”
Eric frowned. “That answers all but one of my questions. Why am I here?” Thomas's eyebrows knitted together. “Isn't that obvious?” Eric shook his head.
“You've known Maria since you were children. Who else could I get to help me keep an eye on her that would not seem suspicious? If I or Charlotte stay around too long, its sure to arouse questions, beside we're both busy. And Andrianna? You see what she does now. If she knew the full story, she would tell Maria everything.”
“I guess I understand.”
Thomas shook his head. “No, I don't think you do. You know Maria. You know how she's feeling and when her mood changes. Ever since you were children. You always seem to make her feel better. Maria is the only true piece of Selena I have left. If I were to lose her...” His voice trailed off.
“You won't lose her.” Eric was surprised at the ferocity in his claim, and even more surprised to find that he was feeling the same thing. “I'll continue to watch her and make sure she's okay.”
Thomas's regarded Eric. There was a certain type of fierceness to her words, a protectiveness to his eyes. “I won't ever be able to pay you enough for this, Eric.”
Eric smiled and stood. “You wont' have to. Maria is very special to me too.” Thomas smiled back. “I know.”
Eric stood. “I need to go home. My mother hasn't been feeling well, and I need to make sure she's okay.”
“Tell Sophie I hope she gets well soon.”
Eric nodded. “I will, thanks.”
Eric walked out of Mr. Contrare's office and sighed. He turned his head at a flash of movement to his right. Andrianna was sitting in the kitchen, smiling at him. He waved to her, but even as he walked away there was sinking feeling in his chest that his seeing her was not by chance.

Andrianna smirked to herself, watching Eric leave. That had been an insightful conversation, and he didn't even know she had overheard everything. It was simply glorious. She heard voices float down the hall. Maria and her mom were back. Andrianna slid from the chair she was sitting in and went into the living room, where she found Maria unpacking bags of paint, canvas, and art supplies. She walked behind her sister, peering over her shoulder. “That seems rather pointless. You've barely used the art supplies you have for the past week.”
“Charlotte thought getting new supplies would help me generate new ideas.”
Andrianna rolled her eyes. “So you got a new paintbrush. I fail to see how its going to work any better than your old ones.”
“How was the shoot?”
Andrianna suppressed a laugh. She loved to get under her sister's skin. “You can see for yourself in a few days.”
Maria turned to face her step-sister, a look of shock on her face. “The magazine's coming out that quickly?” Andrianna burst out laughing. Maria shrank back, putting her paints in color order in a shoe box. Lightest to darkest.
Andrianna moved to a chaise that was sitting beside the bookshelf. She reached up and pulled one of her magazines down from the shelf. “Well the first copies are. It won't be made available to the general public until next month.”
Maria looked at the paints now arranged in the box before her. “Oh.”
Charlotte entered and to find Maria glaring down into her box of paints and her daughter, Andrianna, smirking into one of her magazines. Charlotte walked up to Maria, handing her a bag. “Would you mind moving this to your room? I need to talk to your sister.” Maria nodded, gathering up her supplies. She put all the new canvases in the cloth bag Charlotte had handed her and hauled them to her room.
As soon as Maria was out of the room, Charlotte turned on Andrianna. “What do you think you've been doing?” Andrianna hardly glanced up from her magazine. “What are you talking about, Mother?” Charlotte stormed over to Andrianna, ripping the magazine from her hands. “I ran into Thomas as I was coming into the house. He told me you've been dropping hints to Maria.” Andrianna stood slowly. “Don't worry. It hasn't been anything too major. Besides,” she flipped her hair over her shoulder. “she's too stupid to pick up on them anyway.”
Charlotte's face was hard. “You will not talk about your sister that way!” Andrianna rolled her eyes, stepping past her mother. “Honestly I don't see why you bother. She hasn't been able to paint for the past month. You should be paying more attention to me. I've had three shoots in the past two days and more scheduled for this week.” Charlotte sighed and sat down on the couch in frustration. “I'm very much aware of your successes, Andrianna, but Maria needs to feel important too.”
Andrianna felt a stab of pain in her chest. Anger and jealousy welled up inside of her. “Why? Honestly, I don't even see why we're here. Why did you have to marry Thomas? It's not like he has any money, and he's squandered yours away on foolish business ventures.”
Charlotte had grown pale. “I am your mother. You will not speak to me like that. What I choose to do does not concern you.”
Andrianna's hands curled into fists by her side. “But it does! I am your daughter! Me!” Tears were threatening to spill down her cheeks. She took a deep breath and joined her mother on the couch. “I have money saved up. We could leave this place and live very comfortably on our own.” Charlotte shook her head. “And what of Thomas and Maria? I couldn't do that to them.” Andrianna huffed, “I don't see why not. You don't owe either of them anything. I'm your daughter.” Charlotte turned to her, a sad smile on her face. “You are and I love you, but you have to understand...there's more to life than money.”
Andrianna stood angrily. “Nothing important.” She stormed from the room.
Charlotte sighed. That meeting did not go as well as she would have hoped. When she looked up Thomas was standing in the doorway, a troubled look on his face. “What's wrong?” He crossed to sit beside her on the couch. Wordlessly, he handed her a crumpled up note. Charlotte scanned it once, twice, and then sat back against the cushions. Beside her Thomas was massaging his temples.
“Is there anything left?” She asked quietly. Thomas sighed. “Not much. I'm selling Selena's last painting tomorrow. I'll probably get a few thousand off of it, but then what?” Charlotte placed a hand on his shoulder. “Have you told Maria?” He shook his head. “What am I supposed to tell her?”

Andrianna was walking back to get her magazines from the living room. Stupid mother. In her haste to leave she had forgotten them all. She heard her mother's and Thomas's voice and stopped outside the door, leaning against the wall just out of sight.
“Am I to tell her that I used most of our money when she was younger seeking help for her from specialists? Or that I finally found a doctor who could treat her, but had to switch her medications four times? I can't Charlotte. I just can't.”

Charlotte leaned closer to her husband. “You need to talk with her. I know you're afraid she's going to turn out like Selena, but you need to tell her something. Show her that you trust her.”
Thomas laughed grimly. “Because she'll believe that after she hears how I've been slipping her pills and assigning Eric to watch her.”
“I think she would understand.”
“I haven't even told her the truth about her mother. How can I tell her something of that magnitude and then expect her to be okay?”
“You need to tell her.”
Thomas sighed. “I know and I will, just...not now. She just got off her last anti-depressant and we have to wait a few days for it to clear her system before we can start her on another one. I don't want to upset her during the transition. I'll wait a few more weeks, and then talk to her. The money should last until then.”
Charlotte stood. “I hope you know what you're doing.”
Thomas nodded, his eyes fixed at a point in space. “So do I.”

Andrianna just barely made it around the corner before her mother exited the room. She leaned against the wall panting. This day couldn't get any better!

Maria stood in front of the mirror in her room. She had abandoned another attempt at painting, and the evidence was littered across her white-tile floor. She had some hope that the view in her mirror would have changed. She was wrong. She still looked the same. Worse even. She sighed.
“You still look the same. Or worse. I can't really tell.”
Maria jumped away from the mirror at the sound. “I guess that means I wasn't hallucinating.”
The mirror seemed to shiver in laughter. “What's that on your cheek?” Maria leaned closer. “Where?”
“Is that a blemish? Andrianna doesn't have any belmishes.”
Maria's brows knitted together. “How do you know?”
“I see her often enough.”
Maria rolled her eyes. “I'm sure you do.”
“And what is wrong with your hair? It looks worse than normal.”
Maria shrugged. “I didn't wash it last night.”
“Look at yourself! What is wrong with your eyes? They look bruised.”
Maria lowered her eyes and crossed her arms. “I've had a lot on my mind. I haven't been sleeping well.”
“As if you need any help with looking horrendous.” The mirror quipped. Maria scuffed her foot against the tile. “I know I'm not as beautiful as Andrianna.”
“Do you?”
“Yes.”
“And you're okay with that?”
Maria sighed. “It's not like I have much choice in the matter. I know I'm not like Andrianna.” The mirror seemed to grower quieter as it asked, “But does everyone else?” Maria looked up in shock. “What is that supposed to mean?”
“Everyone else believes you are so beautiful, more so even than Andrianna, but you know that's a lie. You still want to live it, though. You want to live the lie.”
Maria's frown deepened. Her eyes were glassy. “That's not true.”
“You know it is.”
Tears spilled down Maria's cheeks. “There's nothing wrong with wanting to be beautiful.”
The mirror's voice grew harsher. “You could never be as beautiful as Andrianna so why bother?” Maria shrugged. “I don't know.”
“You know those images in the magazine will never be you.”
“I know.”

The next day was a little better for Maria. She woke up and immediately changed into her painting clothes. It was as if her block had mysteriously vanished overnight. She began, letting the brush flow over the canvas, telling its own story.
Hours later she heard a laugh from her doorway and looked up. Eric was holding a tray of food and smiling. “I see you got your muse back.” Maria smiled. “I don't know what happened. I just woke up this morning and the block was gone.”
“May I come in? Your father sent me with food. He said you hadn't left your room all day.” Maria smiled. “Thanks. You can set it on the dresser.” Eric walked to Maria's dresser, moving aside some of the contents to make room for the tray. In the process, several of Andrianna's magazines fell on the floor. He bent over to pick them up. “You have a lot of Andrianna's magazines.” Maria shrugged. “They accumulate. Besides, they give me something to measure up to.” Eric frowned. “What do you mean?” Maria ceased her painting, but didn't look at Eric. “I know I'm not as beautiful as Andrianna.”
“What made you think that?”
“Besides the fact its true?”
Eric moved towards her, stopping short of the canvas. “Don't believe that. I've told you it isn't true.”
“You have but...” The mirrors words floated through her mind. Everyone else believes you are so beautiful... Maria sighed. “Nevermind.” Eric held up a magazine. “You don't realize how much they edit these things.” This time Maria did look up. “What do you mean?”
“All the images have been edited.” He crossed to the bed, depositing the pile on the floor. He picked up the top copy and began to flip through the pages. “They change the model's hair, eyes, body type. Whatever they need to do.” Maria put down her brush and went to sit on the bed beside him. “But Andrianna looks the same as in the magazines...” She let her finger trail across a picture of her sister.. “Flawless.” Eric had to suppress a laugh. “Are you sure about that?” Maria frowned. “Why wouldn't I be?”
“I think you're glorifying her in your mind.”
“No. I'm not.”
Eric shut the magazine, adding it to the stack. “Like she needs any help in that area.”
“Have you seen her today?” Maria twisted a piece of hair that had gotten loose around her finger. Eric shook his head. “I thought she had another shoot.” Maria frowned. “I thought her next one wasn't scheduled until tomorrow.”
At that moment Andrianna waltzed into Maria's room wearing a green...something. Maria wasn't sure what to classify it as. It looked like it might have been a dress...but there were so many pieces missing she wasn't sure. Eric leaned over to whisper in Maria's ear, “Speak of the devil and she shall appear.” Maria smiled and then laughter erupted from behind her lips. Andrianna glared at her sister. “What's so funny?”
Maria shook her head. “Nothing. Eric just told me a joke.” Andrianna's eyes were slits. “I see.”
“Did you need something?”
“Why? Am I interrupting anything?” Andrianna's eyes slid from Maria to Eric.
Maria crossed her arms, feeling suddenly self-conscience. “No.” Andrianna shrugged. “Then it shouldn't matter why I'm here.”
“You're in my room—“
“We've already had this discussion.”
Maria sighed, agitated. “What are you wearing?”
“Jean Paul gave it to me yesterday. He was trying to decide if it was good enough for the shoot today.”
“More like if there's enough of it.” Maria mumbled under her breath. Andrianna smiled turning to Eric. “I'm sure Eric likes it. Don't you Eric?” He smiled coolly. “I hadn't noticed really.” Andrianna wandered to Maria's canvas. “So you're finally painting again.”
“The block left.”
Andrianna picked up a paint brush and examined it. “If you ever had one to begin with.” She said causally. “What do you mean by that?” Maria asked. Andrianna shrugged. “Oh. Nothing. I just know how sometimes you need attention. What would be more convenient than to develop an artistic block? Once mother and father buys you things, it mysteriously disappears.” Maria rose from the bed. “That's not what happened.”
“I'm sure.”
Eric stood beside Maria. “Don't you have somewhere you need to be?” Andrianna's eyes roved over him. “Now that you mention it, I probably should finish getting dressed. Jean Paul will be here any moment.”
“So there is more to the dress.”
Andrianna turned on him in anger. “What is that supposed to mean?” Eric shrugged. “Nothing. I'm just looking out for your well-being. Wouldn't want you to catch a cold.” Andrianna's face flushed red. “You insolent—“ Her rant was cut short as Eric's phone emitted several loud, anxious beeps. Frowning he removed it from his pocket and answered it.
“Hello? Yeah. Calm down, Nathan. Yeah. Yeah. I'll be there in a minute. I promise. Bye.” He hung up, looking worried. He turned to Maria. “My mom's sick. Nathan's freaking out. I've got to go home.” He crossed to the door.
“I hope she feels better.”
He smiled. “Thanks Maria.”
After he left Andrianna regarded her sister, “You like him don't you?” Now it was Maria's turn to flush red. “No!” Andrianna smiled. “Good. Because there's no way he would accept you. You're not pretty enough.”
“What do you want?” Maria asked angrily. Andrianna produced a rolled up magazine from somewhere and handed it to her sister. “Thought you'd want to see this.” Maria took it, her anger dissipating into shock. “Already? I thought you said it would be a few days.” Andrianna smiled. “I have my sources.”
Maria opened it up, looking through each page. Finally she stopped at one page, staring. Andrianna was on it in a lime green dress, but instead of her usual glowing grace, her face was red and her hair was frizzy—sticking out in all directions. Maria began to laugh. She couldn't help it. Andrianna jerked the magazine back from her and turned a deep shade of red. “What!” She shrieked. “Jean Paul is going to hear from me! The audacity, the nerve! How dare they!”
Maria was still shaking from laughter. “I don't see why you're so upset. It's only one shoot...and its a preview copy. It's not the end of the world.”
Andrianna gave Maria a withering look, her words dripping contempt. “That's easy for you to say. Trapped in your convenient little bubble with Mother and Father protecting you.” Maria stopped laughing. “What are you talking about?”
“Haven't you noticed? Your mother's paintings are disappearing, and you know why? Because your father has been selling them to pay for medication for you! He's afraid you're going to turn crazy like your mom and kill yourself.”
“What? My mother didn't—“
“Yes she did. He's lied to you to save you from knowing too much. He hired Eric just to watch you.”
Maria froze. Andrianna continued relentless. “That's another reason he wouldn't like you. You're just a job to him.” Panic was rising inside of Maria. “That's not true.” Andrianna laughed, walking towards her sister. “Poor poor Maria. All of them tell you, you're so beautiful. You're so talented. That's because they're all afraid. They don't want to push you over the edge. Me? I'm not afraid. I'm the only one who will tell you the truth, and the truth is: You're nothing like me. I'm the perfect daughter and you? You're nobody.” Andrianna turned on her heel and stalked out.
Maria stood in shock for a few minutes until she heard the mirror laugh. “You know she speaks the truth. You've known all along your father was lying to you, but you didn't want to accept it.” Maria walked forward slowly. “No.”
“Just admit it to yourself. You're not as beautiful and Andrianna is right. The only reason they tell you you're pretty or that your art is pretty is because they're all afraid. They're afraid you'll end up like her.”
Maria was standing in front of the mirror now. “No!”
“Especially Eric. He only tells you that so you won't fall over the edge. But Andrianna is right. Nobody notices your imperfections.”
“NO!” Maria screamed and her fist connected with the perfect crystal glass. The mirror shook violently on the wall several times and then crashed to the floor. The perfect gilt edge cracked and the crystalline glass shattered. Maria sank to her knees amidst the destruction and seized a large piece of glass in her hand. They can't see my imperfections? I'll make them see. She took the glass and began to slash at her arms, and then drew one long line down the left side of her face.

Eric heard the crash and immediately ran for Maria's room. When he stopped in the doorway, he saw Maria with a piece of glass slashing at her face. Her arms were already bleeding. He crossed the room in three quick strides, knocked the glass from her hand, and pinned her arms against her sides. Maria was fighting against him and screaming when Thomas, who had been steps behind him, entered the room.
“No! I have to do it! I have to do it! I have to!”
Tears were streaming down her face as she continued to fight against Eric. Thomas knelt in front of his daughter, his own eyes glassy. “Maria. Maria, please...Maria...”
Eric grunted. “Mr. Contrare, you need to call an ambulance!” This seemed to snap him out of his stupor for he got out his cell and dialed 911.

Charlotte stormed into Andrianna's room, ignoring the various posters of fashion on the walls, the clothing and magazines that littered the floor, or the general mess of hair and make-up products lining the tops of every piece of furniture. Andrianna was on her bed, flipping through a magazine. “What did you do, Andrianna?”
Andrianna looked up to see her mother glaring down at her. “What are you talking about now?”
“I am talking about Maria. Thomas and Eric are at the hospital with her right now. He said he saw you storm out of Maria's room before he heard the crash. You did something to make her do that.”
Andrianna smiled. “I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about Mother.” Charlotte snatched the magazine from Andrianna. “Maria broke the mirror in her room and cut up her arms and face! What did you say to her?” The smile never wavered. “I was only playing.” Charlotte flushed bright crimson. “Playing? Your sister could have died!” Andrianna stood and faced her mother angrily. “She's not my sister!”
“Yes she is.”
“Why does it even matter to you? She's not your child!”
Charlotte's voice was deadly quiet. “She's more my child than you are right now.” She turned and stormed out of the room, leaving Andrianna to stare at her in shocked horror.

Maria woke up the next day laying in a hospital bed. Gauze was wrapped around both of her arms, and the left side of her face felt tight and itchy. Several machines were hooked up to her left arm and each was whirring or beeping. Maria winced as the events of the previous day came back to her. What had she done?
The door to her hospital room opened and Charlotte came in with a box of doughnuts and coffee. “How are you feeling today?” Maria regarded her warily. “Okay. What time is it?”
“Around 10 pm.”
Charlotte set the doughnuts and coffee on the table beside Maria's bed. “You gave everyone quite a scare.” Maria didn't meet her gaze. “I didn't mean to scare anybody. I just wanted to let them know I understood.” Charlotte placed a gentle hand on Maria's arm. “That you understood what, sweetheart?”
Tears threatened but Maria pushed them back. “I'm not as pretty as Andrianna and I never will be.”
“Oh, Maria.”
Maria gripped the blankets tighter. “Its the truth. I thought that if I did this, everyone else would have to notice my imperfections. Just like the mirror did. Just like I did.”
“How could you ever think that? You're even more beautiful than Andrianna could ever be. Your beauty is in your heart...and that's so much more important.” Charlotte's voice was gentle, yet admonishing. Maria smiled a small smile. “You have to say that. You're my step-mom. It's like a requirement.” Charlotte smiled. “But I still mean it.” She stood. “It's late and you need your rest. Here's some doughnuts if you want them. Goodnight.”
“Thanks.”
Charlotte hit the dimmer switch when she walked out of the door and the fluorescent light in Maria's room faded. No sooner had her eyes adjusted to the dimness than the door opened and another figure entered her room. She didn't realize who it was until he was standing a few feet from her bed. “Eric! What are you doing here?”
“I had to make sure you were okay.”
Maria frowned. “What about your mom?” Eric pulled the chair closer to her bed and sat in it. “She's doing better. After we got here yesterday, your dad made me leave to tend to her.” He sighed. “That was one of the hardest decisions of my life. Deciding whether to go or stay. Fortunately your dad didn't really give me an option.”
“What made it so hard?” Maria asked quietly. Eric looked at her, shocked. “Do you even have to ask? It's because I love you Maria. I couldn't choose between you and my mom. I know I needed to take care of her, but I wanted to stay with you.” Maria still wouldn't meet his gaze. “So you don't just see me as a job? Andrianna told me that Father had hired you just to watch me. That I didn't matter to you passed that. I would understand if its true.”
“What? No. Why would you ever think that?”
“Andrianna said—“
“I don't care what Andrianna said.” The fierceness of his tone shocked her. He sighed. “Why did you do it?” Maria played with the edge of her blanket. “Does it really matter?”
“It does to me.”
“I just finished explaining this to Charlotte five minutes ago.”
Eric smiled faintly, “I'm not Charlotte.” Maria stopped playing with the blanket. Her eyes were getting teary again. She pushed the tears back. “I did it because I wanted everyone to see my imperfections. No one ever seemed to notice them like I did—so I made sure everyone would know that I'm not pretty. That I know I'm not like Andrianna.”
Eric reached out and tilted her face towards him so that she was looking at him. “Is this because of the magazines?” Maria pulled away. Anger rose in Eric so fast and furious. At Andrianna, at the magazine label, at any person who made girls feel unwanted and unpretty just because they weren't model material. “Maria, I've told you! Those magazines are all edited. They change the model's body, eyes, hair, anything they need to make them seem perfect. They do that trying to make girls like you feel ugly so you'll buy their products. Andrianna's not so beautiful.”
“Stop.” Maria choked out. The tears were starting to fall. She couldn't hold them back any longer. Eric pressed on. “Its the truth. You are beautiful in more ways than Andrianna could ever dream of being. Your beauty is displayed through your paintings and through your personality...” Eric leaned forward and brushed his fingers across Maria's cheek in a gentle caress. “And your face. Andrianna can never have that beauty. Hers is superficial. Yours is deeper.”
Maria sniffed. “Do you really believe that?” Eric smiled. “You know I do.” She finally met his gaze. “How can I ever appear beautiful to you? Especially now that I have this scar?”
“You were beautiful before the scar. I don't even notice it.” Eric leaned forward kissing Maria gently on her cut cheek. She smiled. “Thanks, Eric.” He stood still smiling. “I better go. No one knows I snuck in and its past visiting hours.” He rose and quietly let himself out.
Maria was settling back into bed when another figure entered her room. This figure was lithe and slender, moving with measured grace that Maria knew well. “Andrianna?”
Her sister was dressed all in black. She moved forward slowly and stopped at the end of Maria's bed, raising an object out of the darkness.
“What are you doing?” Maria asked.
“Are you really so dense you can't figure that out? I'm getting rid of you.” Her sister's voice was filled with loathing.
“I didn't think you hated me that much.”
Andrianna smiled. “Hate has nothing to do with it. It's just a four letter word. I'm doing this for recognition. Mother and Father will finally notice me.”
“What about your modeling?”
Andrianna laughed. “That? They could care less about that. They're more concerned with sensitive, artistic, Maria. You actually have a talent they appreciate. A talent that won't fade, unlike me. My beauty will eventually fade. I'll become a use-to-be. My career will go down the drain, my magazines will be discarded, but not so with you. Your paintings will live on in galleries across the nation, growing more famous each year. I have nothing. Not even mother's and father's affections.” Maria frowned. “That's not true!”
“It is. But not for much longer. If I get rid of you, they'll have no choice but to notice me.” Andrianna brought the gun up, but her finger clicked the trigger before it was level with her target. Maria screamed. The door opened again and Eric came running in. He tackled Andrianna just as the gun went off a second time. The next instant the lights came on as Thomas, Charlotte, and several nurses ran into the room, followed by a security guard.
It was chaos. The two nurses who had ran in were checking Maria, Eric, even Andrianna to make sure they were okay. The security guard pulled out his gun and did a sweep of the room.
“What is going on here?” Thomas demanded above the noise. Eric stood and kicked the gun towards the crowd. “Andrianna tried to kill Maria.” Charlotte grew pale. “What? Why?” Andrianna's answer was bitter. “Neither of you care about me. If I would have gotten rid of Miss Perfect, I would have finally been noticed.”
The security guard came forward and hand-cuffed Andrianna. Charlotte and Thomas followed him out, along with the nurses.
Eric walked to the side of Maria's bed, sinking down in the chair. “Are you okay?” Maria nodded. “Yeah. I think so.” Her eyes roved over Eric. She inhaled. “You're bleeding!” Eric touched his shoulder and grimaced. “Yeah. I think I was just grazed. I'll survive.”
They sat in silence a few moments before Maria asked, “Was it true?”
“Was what true?”
“All the stuff Andrianna said about my mom. That she committed suicide and that my dad thought I was going to end up like her?”
Eric sighed. “Do you really want to hear this right now?” Maria's voice was very quiet when she answered. “I'm afraid I won't have the courage to ask again later.”
“It's true. When I heard the mirror crash, I didn't know what to think...and then I came in and you were bleeding...you had a piece of glass in your hand.” Eric paused inhaling oxygen. “When I was restraining you, you kept saying, “I have to do it. I have to do it.” What were you talking about? Your father was afraid it was suicide. He was so afraid that he had been right and that you had finally broke and decided to end it.” Maria was numb. “No. I...I just wanted everyone to see me how I saw me. And I didn't see me as pretty.”
“Maria.”
She met his gaze. “Why did you come back? After Andrianna came in?”
“I saw Andrianna coming down the hall when I was leaving. I hid and decided to watch her. When I saw the gun, I ran to get security, but then I heard the first shot and ran back here. I was so afraid I would be too late. I should have known she would try something like this.”
Maria frowned. “How were you supposed to know? How were any of us?” Eric's brows knitted together in confusion. “You didn't hear? The modeling agency dropped Andrianna today.”
“What?”
“Yeah. I'm not sure of all the details, but her career was finished.”
“Poor Andrianna. Without her modeling, she's nothing.”
Eric smiled. “That's what I've been trying to get you to understand. You don't want to have beauty that's artificial and fading like hers. Andrianna's entire life was dictated by that artificial beauty. You want beauty that lasts. Beauty that's real. And that's in here.” He pointed to his heart. "Maria, God made you, you. He made you beautiful with your smile and your talent. He gave you kindness and compassion and love. That's the inner beauty Andrianna never had. She was too concerned with what was fake, she never took the time to develop the true beauty God gave her. Beauty of the heart."
Maria's face screwed up in thought. “You've both said that.”
“What?”
“Fading beauty.”
Eric smiled. “Appearances will fade, but true beauty lasts a lifetime. Maria, you have that beauty.” Maria smiled back. “I think I'm beginning to realize that.”
Eric reached for her hand, a big smile on his face. “I guess late is better than never.”

A few weeks later Eric and Maria walked into HopeWell National Institution for the Mentally Unsound. A nurse from the front desk led them to a room with a window. Even though she was wearing a long sleeve shirt, Maria still shivered. Eric pulled her tighter against him as they stared through the window.
Inside a stark white cell, was Andrianna. Instead of her usual flowing gown she was in a straight-jacket. Her hair had been hacked off, and it now hung just below her ears. Her face was pasty-white and her eyes were huge and hollow. None of her former beauty shone through. Maria turned away.
“This is her soul lain bare.” Eric said quietly. “Devoid of any make-up, magazine editation, or glamor. Isn't it an ugly thing to see?” Maria winced. “And to think I almost became that.” Eric brushed her hair away from her scarred cheek. “You could never have become that.”
Maria smiled at him. “And you're the reason why. Andrianna never had anyone like you in her life. She always ran to the magazines to make her feel wanted and loved. I'm glad God placed you in my life, Eric or I would be where Andrianna is right now, nothing but a hollow shell.”
Read the devotional that goes with this story! Devotionals

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors