topbella

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Cupcakes, By Hannah H.

Cupcakes

 By Hannah H.

Beep! Beep! Beep! My alarm clock sounded on Friday morning. I got up, slipped on my jeans, sneakers, and my favorite purple shirt, and then headed right next door to my mom’s cupcake bakery. “Good morning, mom,” I said. She didn’t hear me. She was back in the kitchen baking a fresh batch of cupcakes. Mom had been experimenting lately with new flavors of cupcakes because there was a cupcake contest coming up in our town and mom was determined to win.

In the glass display case at the front of the store stood dozens of cupcakes with simple flavors like chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, and red velvet, and then there were cupcakes with flavors like, banana split, pink lemonade, and orange dream. “Oh, good morning,” mom said as she came out of the kitchen. She has an apron covered in flour, icing, and many other ingredients! I giggled. And then I frowned, thinking of some kids who had laughed at me in the hall yesterday.

“What’s wrong?” Mom asked me.

“It’s just that yesterday, I decided to try out a new hair style, and I really liked it, but there were some kids in the hall that were pointing at me and laughing.” Mom’s deep brown eyes had compassion. “I’m sorry honey; I know it’s hard, but think of it like this,” mom pointed toward the glass display case that showed many of her cupcakes. “Each cupcake is unique,” mom continued, “each cupcake is special in it’s own way.”

She stopped and smiled at me. “What would you think if I made some frosting for the orange dream cupcake and put it on the chocolate cupcake?” mom asked.

“Yuck,” I replied with a disgusted look on my face.

“That may have been something like what the kids in the hall were thinking when they saw you new hairstyle. It may not be their style, but it is yours, you said it yourself.”

I nodded.

“It looks great on you, just like if I took chocolate frosting and put it on a chocolate cupcake.” Mom said.

“Yum!” I reached for a chocolate cupcake on the counter. “Not for breakfast, young lady!”

I giggled.

“Well, what I am trying to say is, you are unique in your own special way, even if those kids don’t like it.”

I nodded again.

“Come give me a hug, sweetheart,” Mom opened her arms really wide. I glanced at her apron that still had cupcake ingredients all over it. I untied her apron and set it on the counter. Then I hugged her as she laughed lovingly.

“Thanks mom, I’m going to go do my hair now.” She smiled as I went to go do my hair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors